Our practice focuses on the treatment of patients with mild to moderate pain. Some patients are in need of treatment for EXCRUCIATING/SEVERE PAIN. These patients may require large doses of DANGEROUS NARCOTICS. We feel that these patients are better served, by being treated by highly trained specialists that are affiliated with tertiary hospitals.
For that reason, we abstain from treating these very difficult cases. Because of this, we have a strict, inflexible policy of limiting the amount of narcotic medication prescribed to no more than Percocet 10/325 or Oxycodone 10 MG, 3 times per day. This is our MAXIMUM DOSAGE for any of our patients. Of course, a large percentage of our patients will be prescribed lower doses and quantities.
**In the past, some patients have been foolish enough to try to convince us to break this well entrenched policy. As you may have guessed, this has resulted in a wasting of OUR TIME and YOUR MONEY. If you feel that you may need more narcotic medication than our doctor will prescribe, then we implore you to seek another physicians who will be willing to write for these higher doses.**
MEDICATION COPAY RESPONSIBILITY INFORMATION
IN EFFECT STARTING January 1, 2017
1) Medication copay should be collected, in full, at the time of the visit. If the patient does not bring the full amount for the copay at the time of the visit, payment can be delayed to the next visit. If the patient fails to pay the co-pay at their next visit, they will NOT be seen. With any delay in payment, patients are required to sign a document stating they have been notified of our co-pay policy and the monies owed.
2) Co-pays can be paid for by cash, credit, or debit card.
3) Patients who have an open legal case may defer payment of co-pays until their settlement. Patients who choose to defer payment are required to sign a legal document that stipulates their desire to defer this payment until settlement. This legal document will and should be presented to their lawyer at settlement.
3) Should the patient be indigent (in extreme financial crisis), we have the legal option to "forgive" the medication copay. In order to qualify, patients are required to fill out the Financial Hardship form, which can be found on our website here or requested at the time of visit. The patient must fill this form out and return it to us either in person or by fax (Fax #: 215-947-6274), at which time our accountant will evaluate the form to determine if one does qualify for medication co-pay forgiveness.
ALL PATIENTS MUST COMPLETE A DRUG SCREEN BEFORE THEY ARE SEEN BY DR. BERKOWITZ. DRUG SCREENS ARE USED FOR SEVERAL REASONS:
To monitor the types of medications our patients are taking (Combining certain medications can cause dangerous health complications)
To assess compliance with our treatment regimen
To assure that patients are not using the medications for illegal purposes
Patients should be aware that inconsistent drug screens (presence of an illegal substance, presence of a substance not prescribed, and/or absence of medication Dr. Berkowitz prescribed you) are grounds for dismissal.
**We DO NOT submit these drug screens to any government institutions. This are soley for our practices internal purposes.**
**We do not test for Marijuana.**
When you are scheduled for an appointment at our office, you will receive an appointment card that has the time and date of your next office visit. We realize that sometimes these cards may be misplaced. Because of this, we have instituted a phone call reminder system in which patients will be notified 36 hours prior to their appointment. In addition to this our patients will receive a text reminder the day of your appointment.
In order to ensure the functionality of this system, you must provide our office with your cell and home phone number.
If you are not receiving these reminders this means that we do not have your correct phone number! Please ensure that our office always has your updated numbers.
If you miss or cancel your scheduled appointment without 48 hours notice, you will be charged a $25 fee
If you miss 2 or more appointments you must pay the fees upfront. by credit or debit card. in order for us to reschedule you.
What qualifies as a "missed or cancelled appointment"?
- Notifying our office of a cancellation with less than 48 hour notice.
- Not showing up at your scheduled appointment time.
- Coming to your appointment after our office has closed for the day.
- Not seeing the Doctor on your scheduled appointment date and time
- If you come late and the doctor is no longer there
If your appointment is scheduled within the last hour of our session times you must have your phone available.
Please make note and be aware of our office session hours. Sometimes we have a number of no-shows an We may call our patients to come in earlier than their scheduled appointment. If your phone IS NOT available, and there has been a change of your appointment for an earlier time, this may result in a missed appointment fee. I
**PATIENTS WHO ARE UNABLE TO URINATE WILL EXPERIENCE A DELAY TO SEE THE DOCTOR. YOU WILL HAVE TO TAKE AN ORAL SWAB TEST AND WILL BE CHARGED $20 FOR THE STAFF TO PERFORM THIS TEST.**
ACCEPTED PAYMENT METHODS
We accept the following forms of payment:
- Credit Card
- Debit Card
We do not accept personal checks.
Should you wish to pay with a credit or debit card, you must
- Call our office at (215) 947-6143, during regular business hours, several hours before your visit, in order to pay.
- Go to http://www.phillypaindoc.com/payment-methods to pay online.
**Please contact your insurance company for the specifics of your plan**
**Our office is IN-NETWORK with most insurance companies.**
If your insurance does pay an amount towards your office visit, we will deduct that amount, and you will be required to pay the remaining balance.
Example: John Doe is coming for his third visit. His insurance pays $100 towards balance. Therefore Johns payment will be $65.
HERE IS A LIST OF INSURANCES THAT WILL NOT COVER ANY PART OF THE OFFICE VISIT.
- Keystone First/Connect
- United Healthcare Community
- Health Partners
SUBOXONE PRIOR AUTHORIZATION
Click the button below to read more about our policy regarding doing a prior authorization for your Suboxone medication.
MRI/DIAGNOSTIC TEST PRIOR AUTHORIZATION
Click the button below to read more about our policy regarding doing a prior authorization for your MRI/diagnostic test.
Record Requests, Co-Pay Print Outs
If you would like a copy of your records or are requesting a print out of all the co-payments you paid for your visits, we are happy to fulfill your request, but you will have to pay a $20 processing fee when you pick up your paperwork.